Friday 1 March 2013

Subbuteo Team Collections - Andrew Rockall

We received an email from Andrew Rockall (Statto_74) yesterday, showing us his recently discovered collection of Subbuteo teams. We're very happy to showcase them here as it's damn impressive! Over to Andrew for the background...

Twenty years ago I made a conscious decision to save my Subbuteo things for any future children I might have. I came across the box of goodies last week and thought it was time to dust it down and take a nostalgic look.

I was amazed to find I still have 33 teams. As you can see from the kit designs, I made almost all of my purchases during the 80's. What surprised me were several teams I know I had but have somehow mislaid.

My brother and I used to play for hours and fought for nearly as long. We had a traditional cloth pitch for several years but our Dad made a plywood base with wooden sides which we covered in adverts from papers and magazines. He also pinned an Astropitch to that and painted the base for extra realism. I was distraught to discover he broke this up in 2000 whilst I was in Australia.

We also had the 5-a-side pitch that we got in a jumble sale (an indoor boot sale, for any kids out there!) which was great fun, especially at the time of year when Soccer Six was broadcast from Manchester's GMex.

I do now have a son. He's only 10 months old at present so I will be packing these bits away for another 4 to 5 years, but I cannot wait for then. My biggest fear is him saying "Dad I'd rather play FIFA 18..."

No son, no!

Click on the image for the full size version... it's worth it!

Back Row: England, Netherlands, Denmark, Honduras, Wales, Brazil, Northern Ireland, Ireland Away, Wales, Germany, Scotland, England (I had 2 teams numbered 1-22)

Middle Row: Wimbledon, Norwich, Ajax, Manchester City, Everton, Manchester United, Leeds United, Ipswich Town, Oxford United, West Ham United, Chelsea

Front Row: Arsenal Away, Birmingham City, Chelsea, Watford, Juventus, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Nottingham Forest, Celtic

Many thanks to Andrew for allowing us to share this. If you'd like to share your nostalgia memories with us, why not get in touch? Just drop us a line to admin [at] thefootballattic [dot] com and we'll do the rest!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see the Watford kt front and center! I loved that Solvite kit from the 85-86 season. A gem.

    ReplyDelete