To that end, we'll be trying to bring you exactly that kind of overlooked randomness here on The Football Attic, and as ever, if you find any such footage of your own that you'd like to bring to a wider audience, do drop us a line and let us know.
We begin our trawl of the video archives with this quarter-hour clip taken from the end of the very last edition of the BBC's World Cup Grandstand in 1986.
Here are a few things to look out for:
- Diego Maradona lifting the trophy as Sepp Blatter hurriedly reminds him to take a medal from his tray
- Des Lynam trying to instigate transfer talks between Barcelona manager Terry Venables and Gary Lineker, still an Everton player
- Lawrie McMenemy showing his disgust at the aforementioned 'out of order' discussions
- Gary Lineker displaying an excruciatingly bad talent for speaking basic Spanish
- McMenemy totally pricking the bubble of excitement of a 5-goal World Cup Final by saying 'Brazil v France was a better match'